Here’s the video from the meeting:
And here’s a recap of some of the items the City Council discussed by the Council:
An Ordinance authorizing the Mayor to execute a Cost Sharing Agreement between the City of Birmingham and the City of Mountain Brook for the purpose of making certain public improvements consisting of approximately 4,000 linear feet of new sidewalk along Hagood Street. The City of Mountain Brook will enter into a Construction Agreement for a Transportation Alternatives Program contract with the State of Alabama through the Alabama Department of Transportation, under which 80% of the construction costs will be paid by the State using such TAP funds and the City of Mountain Brook will be responsible for the remaining 20% of the costs, with the total local match estimated to be $280,000.00, and the City of Birmingham will reimburse one-half of those costs to the City of Mountain Brook in an amount not to exceed $140,000.00.
The City of Mountain Brook and the State of Alabama, through the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT), are entering a Construction Agreement for a Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP), for this Project for improving 4,000 linear feet along Hagood Street, under which 80% of the construction costs on the Project will be paid by ALDOT using TAP funds, and and Mountain Brook will be responsible for the remaining 20% of the costs. ALDOT estimates the total cost of the project will be $800,000.
The City of Birmingham will reimburse Mountain Brook $140,000 for bearing the $280,000 local match cost of the project.
“This is an issue we’ve had recently as it relates to the proposed concrete facility,” Council President Pro Tem William Parker said. “The notification process must be improved. There has to be a 21st century approach that will allow residents to be made aware of what is going on in their community. We are trying to get the state legislature to amend the act that governs the Jefferson County Department of Health and increase the public comment period from 14 days to 60 days as well as add requirements about where this information should be posted.”
Members of the Birmingham City Council will be meeting with members of the Alabama State Legislature tomorrow, and will be discussing this matter, among other issues of import to Birmingham.
Unanimous Consent Item
A Resolution opposing the proposed Alabama Senate Bill 220 which proposes an amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1090 to establish an Alabama Lottery.The Council also considered a resolution opposing SB 220, an item that was submitted by Councilor Clinton Woods, who said he is against a lottery bill that does not included money earmarked for education.
After a brief discussion, that item was referred to the Governmental Affairs Committee, which Woods chairs, in order for additional debate to be had. Councilors wanted to add specific language urging the legislature to include education funding into the lottery bill.
Alabama is one of only eight states currently without a lottery. There is a bill, SB 220, that has passed through the Alabama Senate and is waiting for a vote in the House of Representatives that would allow for a state lottery.
The Senate approved the bill 21–12 and the legislation is now in the House of Representatives. One of the goals of meeting with legislators on Wednesday is to discuss potential changes in the bill before the House votes on it.
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
3:00 p.m. — Joint Special Called Economic Development Committee and Special Called Committee of the Whole Meeting — City Council Chambers
Saturday, May 11, 2019
9:00 a.m. — East Side Health Fair — Northeast YMCA, 628 Red Lane Road — Councilor Clinton Woods, District 1
Monday, May 13, 2019
3:30 p.m. — Joint Budget and Finance Committee and Special Called Committee of the Whole Meeting — Conference Rooms “D & E”
6:00 p.m. — 7:30 p.m. — District 8 Town Hall Meeting — Birmingham Crossplex, 2337 Bessemer Road — Councilor Steven W. Hoyt, District 8
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
9:00 a.m. — Pre-Council Meeting — City Council Chambers; 9:30 a.m. — Council Meeting — City Council Chambers
3:00 p.m. — Joint Economic Development Committee and Special Called Committee of the Whole Meeting — Conference Rooms “D & E”
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
9:00 a.m. — Park Board Meeting — Maxine Herring Parker Board Room, Legion Field, 400 Graymont Avenue West
Thursday, May 16, 2019
9:00 a.m. — Smith Middle School 8th Grade Program — Huffman High School, 950 Springville Road — Councilor Clinton Woods, District 1
Saturday, May 18, 2019
11:00 a.m. — 2:00 p.m. — Job Fair — Memorial Park, 524 6th Avenue South — Councilor Crystal N. Smitherman, District 6